Friday, December 11, 2009

The NYC Food Delivery System

One of the things that I’ve both loved and been amazed by most in the city is food delivery system. It seems to me that you can have nearly any food product that you want delivered here. It also seems that any product that you want period can be delivered and the delivery cost appear to be relatively low.

I guess that this is in part because of the lack of folks driving (though cars are everywhere I’ve decided half of them are taxis) and the nightmare it is getting around the city. It is fascinating how fast the delivery folks get the food to your table. Last night I ordered Chinese at 9:50. The restaurant is about 6 blocks away and the food was here before 10:05. I ordered Italian a few weeks ago (lasagna, calamari, hot bread). The restaurant is about a 15 drive. Again, my food was hot and delicious and delivered in less than 30 minutes. How is this possible?

I have not run into a restaurant yet that doesn’t exist. I’ve been told that even McDonald’s delivers. There’s a mere $6 minimum for delivery and you get a free pop (or soda as its called here) with a purchase of $10. Interesting right, this place blows my mind! It also seems that most of the delivery folks are either walking or on foot. The bikers in NYC are some of the bravest people on the planet. I wouldn’t be caught dead on a bike anywhere in the city besides a bike trail. But who am I kidding, when was the last time I was on a bike period. LMAO

As a side note I have encountered another phenomenon of interest. My pal ordered an iced tea that came in a sort of soup container (at least 20 ounces). There was a hole at the top for a straw and apparently in NYC people drink directly out of this container, out of a soup container. The thing is it looks like a soup container! There’s apparently a drink you get in Harlem that is one of these soup like containers full of alcohol and I’m told one of these drinks and you’re good. Apparently?!?!?
Cleveland or NYC; You Decide...

No comments:

Post a Comment